GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) today announced that Motheread is one of nine Research Triangle winners of a 2014 GSK IMPACT Award. Motheread will receive $40,000 in recognition of its exceptional achievement in contributing to a healthier Research Triangle region. GSK announced the winners in a ceremony at its RTP Campus.
Much of what influences our health happens outside the doctor’s office – in our communities. Community factors such as safety, access to healthy foods and recreational spaces, and the support of families and social networks, undeniably contribute to our health. The GSK IMPACT Awards recognize nonprofit organizations with sustainable programs that address these critical community factors.
“Today’s winners show us what it means and what it takes to build a healthier Triangle region,” said Katie Loovis, Director, US Community Partnerships and Stakeholder Engagement, GSK.
The complete list of 2014 GSK IMPACT Award winners in the Research Triangle are:
- Community Home Trust (@HomeTrustNC) – Building healthy communities by integrating affordable homes to create more inclusive neighborhoods.
- Dress for Success Triangle (@DFSTnc) – Building healthy communities and promoting economic independence by providing professional attire, a network of support, and career development tools.
- Durham’s Partnership for Children (@DPFC_NC) – Building healthy communities by ensuring that every child in Durham from birth through age five enters school ready to succeed.
- Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina (@FoodBankCENC) – Building healthy communities by restoring hope to children, families and seniors, one meal at a time.
- Girl Scouts North Carolina Coastal Pines (@GirlScoutsNCCP) – Building healthy communities by helping girls discover their values, connect with others to work as a team, and take action to make a difference in the world.
- Motheread, Inc. (@MothereadInc) – Building healthy communities by putting books into the hands, literacy into the lives, and stories into the hearts of children and adults.
- Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina (@PCANC) – Building healthy communities by preventing child abuse and neglect, so children grow up healthy and ready to succeed.
- StepUp Ministry (@StepUpMinistry) – Building healthy communities through trusting relationships and employment services.
- Voices Together (@voices_together) – Building healthy communities by helping children, teens, and adults with autism and developmental disabilities build important life skills to help them communicate, socially connect, and thrive.
Motheread, Inc. is a nationally acclaimed private, non-profit organization that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development, adult empowerment and professional skill development. Adults and children learn to use the power of language to discover more about themselves, their families, and their communities.
About the GSK IMPACT Awards – The awards are one of several charitable programs GSK offers in the US as part of a commitment to building healthier communities and a healthy America. Annually, for nearly 20 years, we have honored up to 20 innovative and evidence-informed nonprofits that improve the health of the communities where our employees live and work (in and around our corporate campuses in the Research Triangle Park, NC and Philadelphia, PA). A panel of local and national health experts and senior GSK representatives evaluate the applications and determine the winners. In the Triangle region, nearly $2 million has been awarded to approximately 50 outstanding local nonprofit organizations over the past six years.
Applications are accepted from nonprofit organizations that addressed at least one of the following health factors and measures: 1) Diet and Exercise; 2) Education; 3) Employment; 4) Family and Social Support; and 5) the Built Environment. Throughout the competitive process, applicants must demonstrate that their organization has stable operations and is in strong financial health, and that their programming is evidence-informed, innovative, collaborative, replicable or scalable, and systemic.
About the Triangle Community Foundation – For over 30 years, Triangle Community Foundation has enhanced the lives of all its residents by connecting donors with causes they care about, providing funding for nonprofits, and serving as a resource for local issues in the Triangle region of North Carolina. Each year the Foundation grants around $15 million back to the community, partnering with donors and nonprofits to make a difference, now and for the future. To learn more about how you can get involved, visitwww.trianglecf.org, follow them on twitter.com/tricomfdn, or like them on facebook.com/trianglecf.
About GSK – GSK, one of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For further information go to us.gsk.com, follow us on twitter.com/GSKUS, or visit our blog (www.morethanmedicine.us.gsk.com/blog/).